Explore the Geek family of Blogs:
Geek's Journal
geekytech
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
  Wine Review - Casillero del Diablo 2004 Shiraz
Popped into the LCBO at Queen Quay on Friday, among other things, picked up a bottle of Casillero del Diablo's 2004 Shiraz... I was thinking since I've been enjoying Auzzie Shiraz so much, why not try a Shiraz from another county... I figure, hey Chile has good wine, and it's pretty warm there... Worth a shot... Anyhow, the label grabbed me, and check out the mini-history:

It all started in the year 1883 when Don Melchor de Concha y Toro, founder
of the Winery, brought back to Chile the most exclusive grape vines from the
Bordeaux region of France.

These varieties developed extraordinarily well in the fertile Maipo Valley
soil achieving unexpectedly good results. Aware of just how good his wine was,
Don Melchor de Concha y Toro decided to set some of the best wines aside for his
family's circle.

In an area, set apart specifically, these wines were kept at the end of his
magnificent cellar to assure constant conditions of temperature and
humidity.

Don Melchor de Concha y Toro, realized after a while that these wines were
mysteriously disappearing.

After thinking the situation through he came to the conclusion that local
people were stealing his wines.

Knowing how superstitious locals were, he decided to say that the Devil
lived in this cellar.

The story proved his word and had good results, fear discouraged thieves
and never again did one bottle disappear. His plan had worked and this
simple rumor began to turn into a Legend.

Local people became convinced that the Devil did actually live there, there
were even those who said they had seen him.

Now, more than 100 years later, the Legend that Don Melchor de Concha y
Toro created is still alive within these walls. This is how the name of
this cellar came about and since has been adopted by perhaps Chile's most famous
win around the world. Casillero del Diablo, the Devil's Cellar.


Now that you've experienced the mystery behind the Legend, its your turn to spread the rumor around the world.

Anyhow, it is a DAMN good Shiraz, myself and my guests on Friday night enjoyed it thoroughly... I've picked up another bottle, and look forward to trying their Cabernet and other varietals...

Also, check out their web site, it's fantastic!

http://www.casillerodeldiablo.com/
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
A personal blog by John Walter.

My Photo
Name:

I think a lot. Some people say I think too much... However, I don't want to be seen as being aloof or pretentious, it's just that I really enjoy philosophical questions and deep thoughts. That's not to say that I don't find pleasure in more down-to-earth or trivial things, like beer and soccer :) I'm happily married with 3 wonderful children. I'm a partner in a technology services company based in Toronto. Myers Briggs says I'm an ENTJ

Add my Custom Button to your Google Toolbar
ARCHIVES
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
March 2008
April 2008
March 2009
January 2010


Powered by Blogger


RSS FEED


Some of my Favorite Sites:
Kurzweil AI (Deep)
The Onion (Funny)
Sparkpeople

Blogs of People I know:
Jason Bonney
Richard Barter's Blue Moon
George
Jack

Some of my Sites:
My Company - Netserve
My Flickr Page
MySpace