Explore the Geek family of Blogs:
Geek's Journal
geekytech
Sunday, December 04, 2005
  Weekend EPL Results - Comments

Had friends over on Friday night, so I never got around to making my predictions this weekend. You know what though, it's a good thing... I definitely would have gotten AT LEAST 3 of them wrong... I would have picked Wigan over Liverpool, Newcastle over Villa, and most certainly Arsenal over Bolton, so I probably would have lost...


An Alan Shearer Penalty got Newcastle a point versus Villa on Saturday. Many had predicted that if Aston Villa had of beaten Newcastle that Souness would have been sacked.

I'm glad that didn't happen. I was not a big fan of Souness before he arrived at Newcastle, in fact, I pretty much hated him. A big part of that was due to a book I had read, Peter Beardsley's Auto-biography. In it, he describes how it was more or less kicked out of Liverpool by Souness at the time, and how Souness handled it, he really seemed as an ass, and subsequently he's fallen out with quite a few players, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, David Dunn...

Anyhow, since he's been at Newcastle, I've heard a number of interviews, and it seems like he's a very sensible guy. I can see that he's certainly a proud man, and I don't think he's the type of manager to take sh*t from a player. I think he's mellowed quite a bit with age, and gained some wisdom in his experience managing so many big clubs... While I'm not convinced about his ability to motivate the team, based both on results from last year and this year, and I also sometimes question his tactics, I think he has improved on the squad, he's built "HIS" team, and I think you need to give a manager time to allow them to play together... Honestly, I don't think he's been able to field his strongest 11 ONCE this season... And if he has, he most certainly hasn't fielded them in back-to-back games. We've had a TON of injuries, it's been rediculous actually, and while the situation is getting somewhat better, it's still certainly not totally resolved.

I'd like to see Souness finish the calendar year AT LEAST... If we're still at the bottom of the table by Christmas, -AND- if there is a better manager banging at the door for a shot at the job, then fine, sack him, give the new manager the January transfer window to make a few changes, and that's that...

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
A personal blog by John Walter.

My Photo
Name:

I think a lot. Some people say I think too much... However, I don't want to be seen as being aloof or pretentious, it's just that I really enjoy philosophical questions and deep thoughts. That's not to say that I don't find pleasure in more down-to-earth or trivial things, like beer and soccer :) I'm happily married with 3 wonderful children. I'm a partner in a technology services company based in Toronto. Myers Briggs says I'm an ENTJ

Add my Custom Button to your Google Toolbar
ARCHIVES
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
March 2008
April 2008
March 2009
January 2010


Powered by Blogger


RSS FEED


Some of my Favorite Sites:
Kurzweil AI (Deep)
The Onion (Funny)
Sparkpeople

Blogs of People I know:
Jason Bonney
Richard Barter's Blue Moon
George
Jack

Some of my Sites:
My Company - Netserve
My Flickr Page
MySpace